Sunday 29 May 2011

The Countdown is On

     I don't know what it's like in everyone's else house this time of year. But I can share what it's like in mine. It's countdown central. And to top it off no two people are counting down to the same thing. It's madness, I need about 15 calendars to try and keep up. No word of a lie.
     First on the list we have my husband counting down to his trip. I too would be counting as it's a huge deal. He's off to some huge technical conference to present something computer related. From what little I understand it sounds interesting. I'm very proud of him. So it's T-4 days for him.
     Morgan has several countdowns on the go. I don't know how she keeps them straight but somehow she manages. She was counting down to tomorrow's field trip but it's here so that one has come to an end. She is keeping track of how many days are left in her special reading program and I'm sure if you asked her she could tell you exactly how many days are left in the school year.
     My son, Tristan is a little more regular in his keeping track. Every Sunday night we have to start the countdown to his program day which is Thursday just for the record. He also likes to remind me of things that are coming up, like dad's trip, Chasey's doctors appointment and which teacher has at school that day.
     Chasey on the other hand, just wings it. I am not even sure she knows what day of the week it is most of the time (keep in mind she's 6), but somehow she navigates just fine. She manages to get her library books back to school on the right day (the majority of the time). And she amazes me by always knowing when there's something special about a day.
     As the mom I am counting down too. I am sure I am keeping track of entirely different things and for entirely different reasons but I'm still tracking them. I know when we have to go to the endo and already know the battle that I will face when I pick Chasey up at school at lunch time that day. I know how many days are left until I have to have my father's day gifts bought. I know how many more school lunches I have to pack and how many more complaints I will hear in regards to them. I also know when the prescriptions needing filling and when the dog needs to visit the vet.
     However there is on BIG countdown occurring in our house right now. And that is the number of days left until we do the Telus JDRF walk for diabetes. Chasey proudly announced to me tonight that there are 13 more days until we go to the zoo and walk our way to helping to find a cure. Let me put this into perspective for you. In the next 13 days Chasey will endure 104 finger pokes to test her sugar levels, 3 site changes, one trip to her endo and endless questioning of how she feels. We hope one day we will be counting down until there is a cure available for her.
     I am glad that the kids are looking forward to happy things. Summer vacation, field trips and camping. I will keep track of the more mundane and less exciting. It's 8:00pm and my favourite daily countdown has come to an end, it's bedtime. So here's to another 11.5 hours before we get to get up and do it all over again. 690 minutes, 689 minutes, 688 minutes......

No comments:

Post a Comment