Saturday 30 April 2011

Let the Good Times Roll

     What a weekend thus far. I feel like I am on an emotional high. Even as I am writing this I have a warm and fuzzy feeling in my tummy. Where to start, where to start.
     Yesterday I got amazing news from our school's principle that we will be getting a second SEA at our school next year. This in of itself is a gift sent from above. After a very hellish school year, where there wasn't enough support and there were none stop issues, meetings and letters sent to the school, they are finally getting on board. This is GREAT. It means that both diabetic kids at our school will receive more support and that if one SEA were to be absent there's another trained person there. You have no idea what an accomplishment this is. We spent 8 months of our lives fighting for their rights and we prevailed. Now who knows how it will actually work next year but for now I am going to relish in the fact that our insistence and involvement this year brought about change.
     Today we went on a journey. Not just one of getting in the car and traveling a distance to another location, but one of friendship and community. We (myself and my family) met another family with a type 1 child. We have come to know one another online but to meet and physically be near another mom in the same boat is....uhm....well I can't find the right word. But it is an experience that has and will forever change me. It's humbling to know you are not alone, it's uplifting to know that someone that gets it is near and it's heart warming knowing that your child has made a connection with someone just like her. We went to help this family with their fundraising efforts for the JDRF walk. There's a sense of pride when your daughter puts herself out there in the name of helping a friend and I am so very proud of Chasey. And of the other little girl that faces the same problems that Chasey faces day and day out. I want to thank the other family for letting us be part of their special day. I also have to comment on how generous some people are when giving. It's nice to know that in some areas there is still a sense of community.
    To top it all off as I write this it's still light out and my children and grasping the last light of the day as they play outside. I can hear their laughter and giggles as they chase one another and work on their fort. They are for the time being happy and I hope filled with a sense of pride at their day's work of helping a friend in need. I am content, at peace for the night. We done good today.

No comments:

Post a Comment