Sunday 8 January 2012

8 Days in and High all the Way

     I know what you are thinking and no the title has nothing to do with what you initially thought. Silly people....I'm talking about Chasey's night time blood glucose readings.
     We are 8 days into the new year and it has yet to disappoint. Morgan is due to get her cast off the beginning of February, so bonus. Tristan and James are getting lots of boarding time on the mountains and Chasey is, well Chasey. With this one small but insistent problem....NIGHT TIME NUMBERS FROM HELL.
     I don't get it...every thing was just sailing right along. We were to the endo the beginning of December and everything looked good, a few minor adjustments and we were off again. Christimas went good. No trips to the hospital to boot. But then these numbers appeared.
     We head to bed with a great number, 7 or 8 some thing. The 11 check is hit and miss now. Some times it's great and some times its unexplainable high. Then it just proceeds to creep up and up all night. We correct and it lowers just to start to rise again.
     Four or five nights of this craziness and I mentioned it to a friend, who also has a T1 and she concluded the same thing as me...Our night time basal is off. WAY off by the looks of it. Suckie. Good, a theory. Now to solve the issue. Change the basal. Got it. But oh wait. We don't do that without talking to the end. Some may be asking why right about now. Chasey has been on the pump long enough. I certainly know how to change a basal rate, I just don't. I'm CHICKEN. There I confused it. Chicken.
     Our endo office has been closed since before Christmas and they don't reopen until tomorrow (along with vacation, they were upgrading their computer system or something). SO we check and check and recheck every night and correct, trying to keep the issue at bay until I can reach the professionals for help.
     Through it all I have realized a couple of things:
1. I'm glad that my husband is a night person and doesn't require as much sleep as me. He gets up and checks several times so that I can sleep.
2. I need to give myself permission to make changes. Lots of other parents do it. I know how to do it. I need to have confidence in my ability and knowledge.
3. I'm thankful to have a friend that gets it, part and parcel. She listens, she understands and she gives helpful feedback. Not everyone has that, and I know how lucky Chasey and I am to have another child and mom and lives it too and supports us.
     Tonight we will download Chasey's numbers. I will put on a new site and maybe a sensor just to see where things are going crazy. The, maybe just then, I will tweak her basal. I will email the endo in the morning and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. We will just change the basal again. That my friend is the beauty of the pump. I guess there's nothing like starting the new year on a high.

No comments:

Post a Comment